Saturday, May 23, 2009

Should people get what they want? Should they try?

Warner Roshi says:

I master my life by not trying to master my life. That way I always feel successful about it! If your goal is not to achieve your goals you'll come out a winner every time!


He's wrong of course; in fact, you'll only come out mired in paradox (because if your goal is not to achieve your goal, if you've achieved your goal, you haven't achieved your goal, which means you've achieved your goal...)

His radio show host says:

Welcome

You have found this site for a reason.

People find me and the products because they want a miracle.

Miracles happen regularly.

I see them every day.

I have seen them happen on a regular basis to my 7,000 clients in the last 10 years.



I get people what they want.



People come to me to feel better and realize their dreams.


I get people what they want whether it’s financial health, physical health, business improvement, or saving a marriage.


I think there are times when it's really important for people not to get what they want, and depending on the person those times could range from "now and then" to "almost always."

I think most people would uniformly agree it's not a good idea to give a coke-fiend 4 kilos of Peruvian snowflake.



I'm not sure it's a good idea to get cigarette manufacturers to "improve" their business if it's confined to making cigarettes.

You could go on from there.

On the other hand, people do have all that Maslow stuff wired into them: there does appear to be a need not only to mark one's territory, but to do so in a way that future generations will not only see it, but see that this marking was done for the betterment of all.

Just people shouldn't invest their whole existence for a mere trifle as a monument.

The monument stuff comes from the strangest of places.

No comments: