Friday, January 04, 2013

行捨, equanimity

行捨 and 業者 -  pronounced  ぎょうしゃ - are homonyms, evidently. 

I'm looking for a word in Japanese, and I don't know if I can find the right word.  It ought to be there. Perhaps it's the word for harmony, or balance.  But I haven't found it yet.

What I do know is that the word I'm looking for is what I'm trying to convey when the proper viscosity of ink is reached, so that it is absorbed by the brush just right so that it can be put onto paper just right.

Thankfully, with the help of my wife, I've figured it out to a certain extent.  Paper, ink,  brush, and ink stone must all be in harmony with each other, which must all be in harmony with the mind of the 書道人. And when it is...!

It's amazing.  Doing 書道 is a form of practice that emerged from the mindset of this understanding of the  道.

I'll be posting some more soon.

No comments: