Sunday, November 12, 2006

Our fabulous reporting of financial stuff...

As probably nobody who regularly reads this blog knows, I recently realized that I had enough cash lying around to buy some Berkshire Hathaway Class B stock, and lo and behold, a few days after buying it, it turned out that they had made a whole bunch of money because they made a killing on 2006 not being like 2005, storm-wise.

A couple of days ago I noted that the Berkshire Hathaway annual report transcends the annual report genre; it is to annual reports as Raymond Chandler is to pulp fiction. In fact, Berkshire Hathaway annual reports should be required reading somewhere...

But that lead me to consider, "How come other companies aren't reported like they are?"

And then I realized.

Not many analysts outside of the folks at the Motley Fool mention the stock. (Check out Marketwatch on this.) Sure, it's been covered in Business Week and Forbes. My Schwab account says it's a large cap stock, but it's not in the S&P 500. They don't follow it either. Neither does Morningstar.

Odd, wouldn't you say, for a stock that's had a humongous return for 30 years?

I don't think so; I think rather they'd rather not have small investors dabble in this stuff.

No comments: