Saturday, June 28, 2008

Discovery & Dispute

  • The Olfactory Rescue Service are people that are as serious about incense as oenophiles are about wine.

    I have no idea how they get the money to transform all those Shoeyeido agarwoods into ash and smoke, but having done that to samplers once myself I can understand the appeal.

    If you do burn incense for meditative practices, though their advice is generally spot-on.

    As for myself, for zazen I usually use the Baeido 白檀 (byakudan), their sandalwood - heavy version of their daily incense. However, in part thanks to these folks, I've recently found the guilty pleasures of Minorien.

    If you buy the Minorien byakudan, light a stick, and smell, you'll have the South/East Asian analogue of Anton Ego in Ratatouille: you'll be instantly transported to the first time you experienced that scent in a Buddhist or Hindu temple, except that this is purer, more expressive than you will remember.

    I think there's a place for this kind of thing in this world.



  • I seemed to have disturbed at least one Wilberite. (See comments there.) Which was picked up elsewhere.

    OTOH, I'm not alone...I cannot believe though that someone threw "lineage holder" around.

    As though I'm unaware of lineages?

No comments: