Saturday, May 16, 2009

Right Speech...



It probably doesn't stand up in a court of law, but there are times when it is blatantly obvious that someone is lying from their response when confronted with a misrepresentation of the truth.

The stereotype of the drug dealer who goes into an outrage when confronted with the fact that the "Bolivian snowflake" he's been peddling is really Pillsbury's Unbleached Pastry Flour is well known, I think. I'd had a similar incident in a "legal" context when I had encountered a parking meter enforcer ticketing my car 15 minutes before time was up. (I do have some part of me, perhaps attributed to the bit of me of German heritage that is neurotically punctual.) And I recently encountered a similar situation elsewhere in my life(thankfully not at home.)

Like I said, it probably doesn't stand up in a court of law, but it is such an obvious giveaway that the person in question is deliberately misrepresenting reality. By going histrionic, the misrepresenter is saying, "LOOK OVER THERE! OVER THERE! NOT HERE!
OVER THERE!


And all it does is put in the mind of the questioner: Why is this person going ballistic?

And there aren't many alternative answers.

No comments: