Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Mmmm...junk television

Carter today points me to "blogs4God" which in turn teaches me something I didn't know:

In the mail today I received the pilot episode of NBC's six-hour series "Revelations" which is set to premier Wednesday, April 13 (9-10pm ET) on NBC. Public relations firm Grace Hill Media has distributed the pilot to select Christian bloggers in an effort to tap into the power of the blogosphere.

The series centers around two unlikely partners - one who worships God and one who worships Science - that come to find the world is reaching The End of Days. Bill Pullman ("Independence Day") stars as Harvard professor Dr. Richard Massey, an astrophysicist whose science-based view of worldly events is challenged by a nun, Sister Josepha Montifiore, played by Natascha McElhone. God's miracles are evident, but Satanist Isaiah Haden (Michael Massee of "24") answers his own "Lord" to help ensure the Armies of Darkness win the apocalyptic battle to come.

Christians often complain about a lack of representation in mainstream media, but they often fail to admit that modern Christian shows often lack quality screenplays, acting, and production. Such is not the case with "Revelations." which offers a refreshingly well-made series putting Christianity in a positive light. It's truly a production that both Christians and secularists will enjoy.

To which I reply:

  1. I sure as hell hope Richard Gere doesn't send me anything the next time he makes a Buddhist -themed flick.
  2. Oh, good, NBC is telling everyone that scientists should be naturally opposed to religious people (out of the scientists' ignorance, of course).
  3. Those nasty Satanists always bring about the apocalypse.
I'm sorry folks, but this isn't "quality Christian programming," it's junk television. But I'll try to tune in tonight if I'm awake; I think it's good thing to cultivate a taste for le bad television; but American "Christian" TV will have a long way to go before it even begins to approach the cheesy cinematic genius of something like Karan Arjun.

Update:

I noticed Salon has an amusing take-down of this show. I hadn't realized that David Seltzer, who wrote this show, also wrote "The Omen," which admittedly had me laughing at loud in the movie theater when I first saw it, simply because the principal characters were so dense that they couldn't see the foreshadowing.

But I don't think that Salon's right here: I won't be annoyed; if Seltzer lives up to his previous opus, this is going to be laugh-out-loud funny again.



No comments: