Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nietzsche, god-shaped holes, and preconceptions



I was reading this post by Petteri, and was reminded a bit of my own journey; how I came to Zen.

I usually tell people when asked that I came to Zen through dissatisfaction with traditional religious practices, along with, after reading about it, seeing its connection to Existentialism.  Dissatisfaction was, not to put too fine a point on it,  an extreme understatement.  The contradictions of Christianity and  the way in which it was administered, was simply abhorrent regardless of whatever sect I found (though to be fair to Quakers - not the "Evangelical" kind - I never ran into them).  In particular, I found it absurd to see clerics in the Catholic church claiming to stand in for god, and seeing Protestant ministers not claiming to stand in for god, except that they certainly acted as if they had an in with immanence that I did not.  And regardless of that, neither I, nor the clerics, nor parishioners of the Chrisitan faith really seemed to be undergoing a process of μετάνοια (metanoia).  Religions were practiced in which there was a clear quid pro quo with the immanent,yet there was no μετάνοια - there was no transformation, no repentence, no fundamental changes in the core of where ineffective behavior arose. There still isn't, but that seemed to be a necessary thing.

And without going into details, it was clear that all needed that μετάνοια. My behavior and my expectations of my behavior were widely divergent, to phrase it with clinical detachment. And it showed in my relations to others, or lack thereof.  I also seemed to be constantly asking myself, "Is this all there is?" and it wasn't philosophical navel gazing.    It was more like some form of immaturity, though the question was sincere and sincerely pursued.  And it seemed everyone I knew was at their core, full of discontent  regardless of religious practice (or lack thereof), whether they acknowledged it or not. 

There was a time when I agreed with Sartre that "man is condemned to be free."  I also was wary of the lessons of Nietzsche as interpreted by William Barrett.  Those lessons were that being an atheist could not, in and of itself, be a reaction to theism, especially Christianity.  But  more importantly I was dimly aware of how the quandaries of existentialism were playing out in my life.

Eventually, after reading a few books, and after practicing sitting on my own, I did happen upon a Buddhist temple - the Zen Studies Society to be exact, and the folks there had it more together than anyone I had ever met.  During a Dharma talk (not by Eido Shimano), I saw the lecturer pick up a tea cup to take a sip.  He was living his life at that moment to its fullest.  I could see why there was an intellectual kinship between Existentialists and Zennist.  Moreover, I could see that this sort of experiential practice was useful.  Don't worry about X, Y, and Z; just do what you're doing at the moment.  Related ideas I'd read in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, and while at first they made no sense at all (particularly the stuff about "mind weeds), eventually they came into focus.

And I learned through meditating and being mindful in the most mundane of things that I was more peaceful than less peaceful.  I didn't do it really with that goal in mind; I did seek refuge.  I was a refugee.

Don't get me wrong; this practice has been like learning to walk again after a traumatic injury; as being mindful throughout life just wasn't something that was  transmitted naturally to me by my surroundings.

Was this a god-shaped hole?   I think not.  As some readers might know, I wouldn't even call it "spiritual," as that defiles and trivializes it.  But I do think that I had a need, and that need wasn't ever going to be satisfied by trying to plug up a hole of any kind.  When I found out how one could learn not to want to plug up holes,  I became happier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Youtube reviews

But one extra reason for traditional tv retailers to fret about their relevance:Youtube.Com, the hot new outlet for individuals to post and share home made videos, has caught the eye of massive-Name marketers.
Nike, warner bros., MTV2 and Dimension Films are among the firms seeding the positioning with commercial clips.Now, together with consumer-Made videos of newborn babies, weddings and teens pulling pranks, is a short of soccer star ronaldinho in his new nike sneakers.
A part of youtube's lure is its ease of use.Consumers-And advertisers-Can add clips quickly.
The positioning, which is kind of a digital photograph album that hosts tens of millions of brief movies, is straightforward to search.
As broadband penetration grows, and consumer urge for food for on-Demand entertainment swells, video-Sharing sites equivalent to youtube are taking off.In december, [URL=http://www.okay2shoes.net][b]Wholesale Jordans Shoes[/b][/URL] when it formally launched, customers watched 3 million movies daily.Now, it is about forty million.
That buzz has piqued the curiosity of major entrepreneurs, ad agencies and media buying firms.
"From a brand standpoint, it is turn out to be one other solution to attain consumers,"Says barry lowenthal, president of advert buying firm media kitchen.
In a world teeming with cynical shoppers and ad-Skipping units such as tivo, youtube's edge is that its users actively hunt down content.When phrase-Of-Mouth built about nike's gritty ronaldinho clip, consumers e-mailed the video to buddies and embedded it Of their prOfiles on social networking sites.It has been considered more than 3 million times.
The price for nike?Not much.The sneaker maker shot [URL=http://www.okay2shoes.net/nikeairmaxnikeairmax97womens-c-3_58.html][b]cheap air max 97[/b][/URL] a digital video, then uploaded it for free.
As youtube's should-See status swells, some firms need extra formal arrangements.At the finish of march, e networks and youtube struck a deal for the positioning to characteristic numerous e program clips.
Deep focus, a advertising agency representing studios similar to the weinstein co., and MTV2 have each labored with YouTube on promotional opportunities.Weinstein lately ran a trailer for scary film four from its dimension films division. "Inside 24 hours, we had 250, 000 views of the trailer,"Says deep focus ceo ian schafer. "Inside per week, we had a million. "
Deep focus also placed the worldwide premiere trailer for clerks ii, which weinstein is releasing with mgm.It was viewed one hundred fifty, 000 times within the first two days, says schafer.