Sunday, March 07, 2010

A "New" Temple in Town





Well, new to me. Hui Lin Temple (慧霖寺) is a Chinese-rooted Tibetan Buddhist temple.   It's the best, most important Chinese-rooted Tibetan Buddhist temple I've ever seen located across the street from a drag-queen entertainment-based restaurant and  nightclub.  That means there's some incredible focus  of the sacred and...uh...not quite mundane located right near Chinatown in Portland.  They've actually been in Portland for 3 or 4 years, but this is the first time I've actually noticed, seen and been inside this temple despite having been on this street a few weeks ago (it's right down the street from the Portland Chinese Garden).

I'm very happy they are here, and am glad they are adding yet another flavor to the rich mixture of Buddhism in Portland, OR.  I am eager to discuss with them their apprehension of the Buddhadharma, and how it compares to my tradition.

I also  plan to ask them about the question I'd posed the other day on this blog, re: the Panchen Lama.  By the way I've gotten no response from Dharmsala on my question about how the Dalai Lama feels about the current Chinese-chosen Panchen Lama. Just crickets chirping.  To me, answering that question should have been a no-brainer.

But let the record show that the official voice of the Dalai Lama, when queried, has so far remained silent on this subject.

No comments: