Saturday, November 13, 2010

More neither good nor evil...

Generally, my work life is going pretty well, although there is a colleague - fortunately not working for me - who's doing work related to mine, is sort of sub-contracting to my project, and is pretty much in a process of slow self-destruct in his career; unfortunately for a variety of reasons the process really can't be hastened very much.

For a while, I had been concerned about this situation because the person hasn't been exactly saying true things about me and my staff to my manager. However, that situation's been changing. Still, for a variety of reasons, this guy can't be fired yet.


In meetings and in correspondence, though, this man's behavior would be disruptive. If one were mindful of this potential and took steps to not be disrupted by his behavior. Thinking neither good nor evil is such a wonderful thing to practice in cases such as this.

And so I'm remind of this scene from the recent re-make of the Karate Kid:




I've had to recommend that scene to staff who feel disrupted by his behavior.

Luckily for me, I'm also remind of The Platform Sutra and Hui Neng:

There is no Bodhi-tree,

Nor stand of a mirror bright.
Since all is Void,

Where can the dust alight?


And thinking neither good nor evil about another's attempt to be disruptive, keeping the mind in a non-attached state is just the only way to do this kind of thing. And the amazing thing? It actually works.

No comments: