Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Little gripes about Wikipedia...

So in order to help provide more on a comment I made below, I head on over to Wikipedia to search for some info on Yun-men (Ummon). This is the 2nd time in 2 days I've found Wikipedia lacking.

Not that there's anything specifically wrong with the Wikipedia article, it's that Yunmen was in his method of dialogue a genius; to read the description of his sayings in Eido Shimano Roshi's Golden Wind, you'd know that the really cool thing about Yunmen's writing and saying is that like those profiles/vase pictures, they can be read/heard 2 completely different ways, but with the difference that the different ways of understanding actually reinforce the other reading.

That's what made Yunmen a genius; most of us (myself included) have difficulty expounding a single coherent thought in speech or test, that punches through.

And not a word in Wikipedia.

Similarly, you could read the article on Wenzhou, and never know this is "leather city." Whether it's handbags, shoes, briefcases, belts, there are factories everywhere.

If I had the time, I'd update their articles....

But it's time for zazen.

No comments: