Friday, January 21, 2005

No, Hugh Hewitt. Blogging is not the "Reformation."

It's deconstruction.

I can juxtapose Hugh Hewitt with Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf. Both of them are radio personalities.

This means that blogging is, instead of everyman's means for nailing 95 theses on the door of a cathedral, a means for millions of people to nail 95 images of Salvador Dali onto pictures of Jell-o. Not that I can see why millions of people would want to do so per se, but they can.

On the other hand, it's occurred to me that blogging can be a tad more than just a rant page.

Why should corporations troll blogs to see whether or not we like the latest Budweiser ad?

Why can we not have fun with the concept?

In so doing, we can deconstruct traditional modes of information transmission and interpretation, which is kind of a reformation, but, unlike what Hewitt might want, it goes further. We can subvert or privilege what we want if we organize. Now I'm again not saying this because (nor in spite) of the fact that I would favor one political viewpoint over another. I say it because the usability of this tool is evident.

Anyhow, I plan to encourge the blogosphere to have fun on Superbowl Sunday, and to strengthen the association- if only memetically- between Hugh Hewitt and Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf.

No comments: